Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Life Of A Missionary- The Missionary Training Center (Part 2)

It's finally time. You have packed your life away, said goodbye to your family and friends, and have your suitcases ready and waiting for the adventure of a lifetime. You double check to make sure you have everything. Shoes...check! Pants...check! Toothbrush...check! Shirts...uhhhh... I was on the way to the Missionary Training Center and I don't have any shirts packed!? My parents drive me back and we pick up the shirts. I get one last glimpse of my lifelong home as it fades to a memory as I turn the corner of my street for the last time for two years.

You pull up to the curb at the MTC. In a blur of emotion and confusion you somehow go through a whirlwind of hugs, suitcases, and other missionaries. Once the whirlwind stops you're in the middle of a thousand other people dressed just like you with the same name... Elder. It reminds me of when I watched The Wizard of Oz. From a farm in Kansas carried away in a tornado and dropped in a dream land. You drop your things off in your room and head to your classroom. You get your companion that is assigned to be within sight and sound of you 24/7 for the rest of your time there. Ok now you know what's going on a little...then a fire hose of information knocks you off your feet again! The next three weeks are constant information!

It seems that you're constantly either being taught, teaching, singing, praying, sleeping, or eating. You form a brotherhood bond between your group that you're with for those three weeks. You go through a slight case of withdrawals from the world you just left. You get to go on trips to the temple nearby once a week. You find things to do on the couple hours you have of free time once a week. From playing hacky sack, writing letters, or taking a nap you fill your time. You search your rooms for hidden treasure from past missionaries. You find notes, pictures, candy, and lists of missionaries who have come and gone. The day finally comes where you're to depart to the mission field. You leave your own mark for future missionaries to find and enjoy. Your bags are again packed and you're off to a new adventure and a whole new world! Soon you'll be a master at packing. You'll be able to fit a whole couch in your suit case by the end of your mission!

Your whole life has been preparing you for this moment whether you knew it or not. The times where your mom and dad told you to do the dishes, mow the lawn, or clean the bathroom are put to the test. Not only the mundane chores that you have to do but your gospel knowledge, testimony, attitude, stress level, and every capacity that you have is about to be realized and put to the test. This is your sink or swim moment. To sink or swim is what each and every one of us is here to experience on this earth. I think to myself what am I doing today to prepare myself for tomorrow? I'm given what I need but it's up to me to use what I'm given. Just as I had all my shirts bought and ready to go but had left them unpacked they do me no good if they're sitting at home. The same principle applies to everything in life. I can have exactly what I need but if it's not there when I need it then I might as well not have it.


We are not expected to rely on our own efforts. We have divine help and strength on our side. We may face temptations, challenges, and trials of all kinds. If we properly prepare ourselves then there is nothing to fear. The help is there but if we don't use it and make sure it's always with us then we might as well not have it. We must prepare ourselves for what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment